Semiconductors are materials that contain elements that lie between conductors and insulators. The most popular elements of these materials are silicon and germanium. The main difference between these elements lies in the voltage required for electrons to begin flowing within the tube. For silicon, the effect starts at 0.7 volts while that or germanium starts at 0.3 volts. When it comes to types of semiconductors, there are only 2 types, p-type and n-type semiconductors. A semiconductor is critical in electronic devices, and there is a reason for that. This piece will take you through the significance of a semiconductor in an electronic device.
The Benefits of Semiconductors
Compared to vacuum diodes, semiconductors have several benefits, and here is a glimpse of them.
- It is possible to operate devices after switching on the device circuit.
- Vacuum diodes produce a certain noise during operation. On the other hand, semiconductors are noiseless.
- Devices that do not have these elements require more power voltage to operate. Semiconductors have a way of reducing the voltage such that machines only use low power voltage for operation.
- Devices don’t need a lot of room to hold semiconductors. The materials come small in size, and this means the circuit around them is also small.
- Semiconductors do not have filaments. This means that no heat will be needed to help in the emission of electrons.
- The best thing about having a semiconductor in a gadget is that it does not necessarily require a vacuum in order for the device to operate.
- Another great thing about these materials is that they are inexpensive compared to vacuum diodes. Furthermore, they are durable and have a long shelf life.
- Vacuum diodes can take a bit of time to sense temperature or even radiation. At the same time, semiconductors are sensitive to these elements. It takes a split of a second for a semiconductor to sense radiation or temperature change.
- As mentioned earlier, semiconductors are small in size. This means they use less power and occupy a small space in the device.
From the above details, it is clear that semiconductors are better than vacuum diodes for electronic machines. Since there is the innovation of different materials for making semiconductors, it is now possible to create sturdy, classy, and compatible electronic devices.
Application of Semiconductor Devices
A good example of such a device is a transistor. This material is used to make circuits, as well as, logic gates. Semiconductors are also applicable in gadgets that use high electrical current and voltage to operate. In this era, semiconductor devices are used in making computer chips. Other devices that also need semiconductors are commercial robots, telephones, and medical machines.
Semiconductors are materials created from properties between conductors and insulators. They are formed from different materials, the main ones being silicon and germanium. Additionally, the only types of semiconductors are n-type and p-type conductors. Today, semiconductors are utilized in different electronic devices like computer chips, robots, and telephones. From the details above, semiconductors are better compared to vacuum diodes. They are smaller, require low voltage for operation, and allow the device to operate immediately after the circuit device is on.
Laila Azzahra is a professional writer and blogger that loves to write about technology, business, entertainment, science, and health.