Whey Protein is an extensively researched supplement in the world. It enjoys widespread popularity among bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts, and for all the good reasons. It is scientifically backed to offer various health benefits including muscle-specific benefits.
Whey Protein is derived from milk and it is a quick-digesting protein. It is processed to be turned into the form of a powder that you see on the market. Whey protein powder is packed with all the 9 essential amino acids and this is why it is loved by fitness fanatics.
In this article, learn about 6 research-backed benefits of whey protein powder.
1. Your best source of quality protein
When cheese is produced, a fraction of protein is separated from the milk, that we know as whey. Whey protein gets absorbed from the gut faster than other proteins. It makes it the best dietary protein source available. It comes in 3 forms- WPC (Whey Protein Concentrate), WPI (Whey Protein Isolate), and WPH (Whey Protein Hydrolysate). WPC is very popular and the most budget-friendly version. WPI is popular with people who are looking forward to building lean muscles and cutting down their calorie intake. Also if someone is lactose intolerant, WPI is better for him. It’s costlier than WPC. WPH is a pre-digested form of whey and the most expensive version.
2. Helps in muscle growth
Muscle mass tends to decline as you age and this results in fat gain along with a risk of developing certain chronic diseases. When you are involved in strength training and consume a balanced diet, this can be reversed to an extent. Studies have suggested that combining strength training with a high-protein diet or protein supplements is beneficial for preventing muscle loss and boosting muscle growth. Whey is rich in BCAAs (Branched Chain Amino Acids) and especially leucine that is a vital growth-enhancing amino acid, anabolic in nature. Studies have also stated that whey is better for muscle growth as compared to other proteins such as soy or casein.
3. Helps with weight loss and management
Increased protein consumption helps in weight loss. Consuming more protein can help in fat reduction by suppressing hunger which results in reduced calorie intake. It also helps in improving metabolism and allowing your body to burn more calories. You are likely to maintain your muscle while you are losing weight when you consume protein. As compared to other proteins, whey has proved to be more effective in promoting weight loss and keeping you satiated for longer periods of time.
4. Helpful in boosting your body’s antioxidant defenses
Antioxidants help in minimizing oxidative stress and prevent cellular damage. These also safeguard you against various chronic diseases. Glutathione is one of the key antioxidants and it is produced by your body. The production of glutathione greatly depends on cysteine which is an amino acid. Whey protein is rich in cysteine and this helps in enhancing your body’s antioxidant defenses.
5. Helps in muscle recovery
Whey Protein is highly digestible and gets absorbed by your body faster than other proteins. This allows your body to receive essential amino acids and other nutrients at a rapid pace which leads to a speedier recovery. Whey protein is also rich in leucine, which helps in boosting protein synthesis in your muscles. When you consume whey protein within half an hour of your workout, it helps your body’s capability to stimulate protein synthesis in muscles and this leads to minimize muscle soreness and workout-related injuries.
6. Can be helpful in treating Type 2 diabetes
A damaged insulin function and high levels of blood sugar can lead to type 2 diabetes, a very common condition in people today. The hormone insulin helps in stimulating the uptake of blood sugar cells and restricts it within a healthy limit. Whey protein helps in regulating your blood sugar levels, as discovered by some studies. It also helps in regulating the insulin levels and the sensitivity to the effects as well.
It is important that you choose the right whey protein supplement to get the maximum benefits. The market has a variety of whey protein powders that come in various flavors and types. You can choose any flavor of your choice or also go for raw whey protein powder. You can also choose from whey protein concentrate, whey protein isolate, and whey hydrolysate according to your goals.
Here, we are telling you the Top 3 Whey Protein Powder that can help you meet your goals:
- MuscleBlaze Iso-Zero Whey Protein Isolate: This whey protein powder by MuscleBlaze has zero carbs, zero lactose, and zero cholesterol. It fuels you with 30g protein per serving with 6.64g naturally-occurring BCAAs to fuel muscle growth and recovery. It also enriches you with 5.8g Glutamic Acid per scoop to speed up the recovery process.
- Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Protein: This product by one of the most popular supplement brands in India offers you 24g protein per scoop along with 5.5g naturally-occurring BCAAs to boost muscle growth. It helps in improving your stamina and energy. It also enhances your metabolism.
- MuscleTech Nitrotech Performance Series: This unique whey protein is enriched with creatine to boost muscle development. The main source of protein is whey protein isolate and it helps you in strengthening your muscles and boost muscle recovery along with reduction in muscle soreness and fatigue. Creatine in the product helps in energizing after intense workouts.
Follow a balanced diet plan along with regular workouts in combination with whey protein powder to ensure that you get the best results. Do not depend solely on whey supplements to boost muscle growth or any other benefits.
Laila Azzahra is a professional writer and blogger that loves to write about technology, business, entertainment, science, and health.